• What is P272
    will it affect my business?

What is P272?

Ofgem, which regulates UK energy, is changing how business energy usage is metered and billed. This new requirement is called P272.

Under the new regulation, all businesses using electricity meters in profile classes (PC) 05-08 that have an advanced meter (AMR) and can be settled on a half-hourly basis, will be. This means affected meters will change profile class to 00 or half hourly.

The deadline for implementation is 1 April 2017.

If supply contracts are up for renewal between 5th November 2015 and 1st April 2017, they will need to go through a Change of Measurement Class (CoMC) to half hourly (HH) settlement within 45 days of the renewal date.

P272 should improve accuracy and will also help distributors better understand electricity usage, so that they can make sure networks are maintained appropriately.

How do I find out if I am affected by P272?

1. Find an energy bill.
2. Look for the Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN). It’s printed on your bill and starts with an S, followed by six different sets of numbers.
3. Look at the first number on the left in the uppermost row. This is your profile class.
4. If it’s between 05-08 (inclusive), you will need to comply with P272.

What do I need to do?

We’ll take care of arranging your new HH energy contracts. We’ll also help to mitigate costs of any new meter requirements, by carefully selecting the best option for your Data Collector (DC) and Meter Operator (MOP). Call us on 01293 651218 and we’ll do the rest.

What savings can I make?

Costs vary significantly between MOPS and DC’s, we can spend time seeking the right option for your business. It has been estimated that sourcing the best price for MOP and DC provider, can result in savings of £700 per site per year.

When should I get in touch with E&CM?

Get in touch today, and we can provide you with all the information you’ll need on P272. Here’s a quick reminder of the ways we can help.
Data Collection – If you use energy at peak times you’re likely to be adversely affected by the changes in meter. We can get instant, accurate consumption data on your usage. Allowing you to identify when you use electricity, meaning you can take action to avoid consuming at times of high demand.
Metering Services – We’ll help to mitigate costs of any new meter requirements, by carefully selecting the best option for your Data Collector (DC) and Meter Operator (MOP).
Procurement –We’ll analyse supply prices to find a contract that fits your business needs.
Bill Validation – We will check your invoices to make sure that all elements are correct.
Monitoring and targeting – We can help you transpose your new meter data it into usable insights so you know exactly what you consume and when to target energy saving opportunities.

Will implementing P272 mean I now qualify for CRC?

The qualification criteria for CRC is as follows:
1. Having at least one settled half hourly electricity meter (sHHM).
2. Using 6,000 MWh or more of qualifying electricity supplied through settled half hourly meters.

Therefore the most likely organisations required to comply to CRC, as a result of P272, will be large groups of small sites whereby the total usage is over 6GWh but is all currently NHH.
We can qualify this for you and advise you on how best to proceed.

When will P272 apply to my business?

Our Partners


Become a Member